Chair of Governors
As soon as possible
At Wickersley Partnership Trust, students and learning are at the centre of everything we do. We nurture the development of knowledge, creativity, skills and understanding to help our children develop into happy, healthy, caring and successful citizens. We do this in a safe and positive learning environment where every individual is valued, self-belief is encouraged and each individual is able to achieve their full potential.
Wickersley Partnership Trust was founded in 2014 with charitable status and currently comprises of 8 primary schools and 5 secondary schools (including 1 sixth form) across Rotherham and neighbouring counties. WPT is committed to ensuring that all students have the best educational experience possible, and to do this, we recognise the importance of supporting our staff thoroughly in their professional development through the dissemination of best practice and collaboration, and through reflecting and debating on their practice. More about WPT’s vision can be found on our website.
About the role
We have a vacancy for the position of Chair of Governors at Clifton Community School.
As a key role in the leadership and management of our schools, the Chair of Governors will be responsible for leading the Governing Body and working with the Headteacher to drive school improvement.
Main responsibilities include:
- Leading effective governance: giving the Governing Body a clear lead and direction ensuring the governors work as an effective team, and understand their accountability and the part they play in the strategic leadership of the school to drive school improvement
- Building the team: attracting governors with the necessary skills and ensuring that tasks are delegated across the Governing Body so that all members contribute and feel that their individual skills, knowledge and experience are well-used, and that the overall workload is shared
- Developing a relationship with the Headteacher: being a critical friend by offering support, challenge and encouragement
- Improving the school: ensuring school improvement is the focus of all policy and strategy, and that governor scrutiny, monitoring and challenge reflect school improvement priorities
- Leading the business: ensuring that statutory requirements and regulations are met, that the school provides value for money in its use of resources, and that Governing Body business is conducted efficiently and effectively
It’s an opportunity for personal development, which could include:
- Strategic leadership
- Project management
- Influencing and negotiation
- Budget control
- Problem solving
A significant strength of effective governance is that there is no single ideal profile of the right candidate. However, a person with leadership experience and the ability to work strategically would be most suited to this role.
We actively encourage representation from a range of sectors and professions – our current group of Chairs are senior leaders in a range of sectors; the one common factor being a passion for education and the children we serve.
We are able to offer peer mentoring and guidance from our current group of experienced Chairs, as well as access to nationally recognised training.
The Trust has an extensive programme of support with regular, bespoke training sessions, Governor network meetings, extensive Governors online resources, an annual WPT Governor’s conference, and additional training opportunities through Learners First Partnership – all free of charge.
For an informal discussion about the role, please email Matt Sutton, Senior Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be happy to facilitate discussions with the school’s Headteacher, Vice Chair of Governors or a Chair of Governors from another of our schools.
In line with our commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students, the appointment will be subject to an enhanced criminal record check and satisfactory references.
Further information about the Disclosure Scheme can be found at www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check
Please note we operate safer recruitment and we do not accept CVs, all applicants must complete an application form in full.